Big Medicine 45L
Big Medicine 45L
With fifty feet of air between you and your last piece of gear, your medicine is the only thing separating you from the massive whipper, so don’t let your pack weigh you down. Introducing our 45 liter alpine pack, inspired by Old Lodge Skins, a hardy, simple man with Big Medicine. With all the functionality you need to get high in the alpine, and nothing extra, the Big Medicine pack weighs in at a scant 32 oz. That being said, some of our product testers found they actually felt lighter after donning the pack*. Go figure.
- 10L extension sleeve (increases carrying capacity to 55L for the approach).
- Compression straps double as an A-frame ski carry.
- Frameless with a stiff, removable back pad/bivy pad.
- Removable floating lid.
- 3 reinforced haul points. Two on the front panel, one on the back panel.
- The floating lid can be used as a backpack with the included harness.
- Ice tool/axe holders.
- Front daisy chain used as a crampon carry with accessory straps (not included).
- Weighs in at 32 oz. Stripped-down summit pack weight 24 oz.
- Hydration bladder compatible.
- Rope strap/carry over the top of the draw closure.
- Compresses to ~25L.
- 4 compartments/pockets. One main compartment, a small internal mesh pocket, the lid pocket, and a small pocket underneath the lid.
- Removable, 1.5” webbing waist belt.
- A total of 4 main seams on the pack body result in increased water resistance and durability, and decreased weight.
The Big Medicine pack comes in two sizes:
- Small/Medium (torso length of 17-19")
- Medium/Large (torso length of 19-21")
See this sizing guide for more info on how to measure your torso length.
*The mental sanity of a select few of our product testers has recently come into question.
Warranty & Returns
Warranty & Returns
60 Days of Adventure
Doesn't fit? Not totally psyched? Please send it back in any condition within 60 days of the purchase date for a full refund (including shipping costs).
Product Lifetime Warranty
Your purchase will be repaired or replaced in the event of a manufacturer defect for the lifetime of the product. This guarantee does not cover failure caused by normal wear and tear or user stupidity :)
Need a repair from normal wear and tear? See our Repairs page.
First and foremost, your pack requires daily walks and adventures in order to maintain its well-being. And if you uphold these responsibilities, you may notice a light yet persistent layer of grubbiness form on the vibrant colors of your pack. When this happens, it may be time to give it the ol' scrub-a-dub. We've put together a short instructional video for your entertainment. Please enjoy.
- Remove backpad.
- Use any "grease" removal laundry detergent (here we use Spray & Wash with great success). Apply directly on pack or onto a rag or sponge and scrub vigorously over any dirty areas.
- Let the detergent soak in for about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the laundry. We recommend using hot water and then just not showering for a couple days to make up for it.
The pack is a nice middle ground between a day pack and an overnight backpack. I took the pack out for a test drive to my local forest and was able to fit all of my backpacking gear into it, including my bear cannister, while strapping my tent and sleeping pad to the outside in a vertical fashion (see picture). A big selling point for me is the ice axe attachments and many lash points on the back and outside of the pack. I also really like the red, black and white color combination, my personal favorite. The pack then doubled as a day pack for base camp exploration. I really abuse my gear and it seems pretty tough to me so far, so I wanted to note that as well.
Another sweet design from Free Range. I've only taken this out once before the parks closed for 2020 - it can carry a lot of gear! A very lightweight and comfortable carry.
The Big Medicine is the perfect combination of lightweight and functional. It holds everything I need for any 1-day adventure, and I can take it for a lightweight overnight as well. It also cinches down and works as a city pack as well. It's durable and easy to access. I love the design.